Performer’s Perspective: 2019 Fall Auditions

Kaleb Dufrene

Junior Andrew Page attempts to tell Senior Ayden Fisher why he was “late” for work through mime, being not allowed to use any words at all. Unscripted auditions were fun and enjoyable for all who attended, but only a handful will be admitted to the elite comedy group.

Performer’s Perspective is a series of articles written by Weddington High School actor, singer, dancer, and performer Kaleb Dufrene. The articles give Kaleb’s perspective of performing on stage at Weddington High in events such as Show Choir/Chorus, Unscripted, NCTC, the fall play, and the spring musical, among other special events.

This past week kicked off fall auditions for the 2019-2020 school year. This year, Weddington’s theatre department will be offering fall auditions for The Outsiders, Nora’s Lost (North Carolina Theatre Conference (NCTC) piece exclusively for current International Thespian Society (ITS) members or soon-to-be members), Unscripted (Weddington’s improv troupe), as well as numerous tech positions in these functions. These auditions will take place throughout the week at the following schedule:

• Monday, September 16th: The Outsiders (3 PM – 5 PM)
  • Tuesday, September 17: Nora’s Lost (NCTC, ITS Members Only, 3 PM – 5 PM)
  • Wednesday, September 18th: Unscripted (3 PM – 4:30 PM)
  • Thursday, September 19th: Callbacks for The Outsiders (3 PM – 5 PM)

On Friday, September 20th, cast lists will be emailed out to auditioners and there will also be a spring musical reveal from 3-3:30 PM in the auditorium. 

The fall play and Unscripted auditions are open to anyone who would like to audition. As part of The Outsiders auditions, interested auditioners will be reading from the original script in what is called a “cold read.” If you would like additional information about Weddington’s auditioning process, please see Mrs. Moore or one of the Drama Club officers.

When many people think of classic high school auditions, what comes to mind is usually the iconic High School Musical audition scene with humorous actors trying to get the best part possible. However, high school plays and musical auditions are quite different. I sometimes feel like talented performers don’t audition out of intimidation or the fear that they may be embarrassing themselves. While auditioning can make someone step outside of their comfort zone, it is not as intimidating as one might make it out to be. A-Hall is a place where people make others feel encouraged, wanted, and everyone is supportive of one another. Auditioning can be nerve-racking at times, but know that every single actor has dealt with audition nerves. Come into auditions with confidence! Auditioning is a way to show who you are, what your gifts are, and your acting style. Often, the actors who don’t get the part they wanted or those who aren’t on the cast list didn’t make it not because they aren’t good but because casting is often like a puzzle. In other words, all of the puzzle pieces have to match in order for the entire puzzle to be unique and complete. Therefore, if you don’t get the part you wanted, don’t stress. Shows are often like a wheel: sometimes you will get the part and other times someone else will get the part. But overall, have patience, know that your time will come. At the end of the day, you are unique, you are talented, you are you ‒ and that’s more than anything a playwright can put in a script.