Introducing Our Fall Play – Little Women

Sara Sheperd stars as Joe in Little Women at the John W. Engeman Theater

Caroline Ritchie, General Writer

“Women, they have minds, and they have souls, as well as just hearts. And they’ve got ambition, and they’ve got talent, as well as just beauty. I’m so sick of people saying that love is all a woman is fit for.” -Louisa May Alcott 

Little Women is a renowned book written by Louisa May Alcott that tells the story of the lives of four sisters as they grow from young girls into women. Based in the mid-19th century, the story introduces women’s equality issues and how the “little women” become independent adults. Jo March, the main character, was written to resemble Alcott herself. Jo has a passion for writing and is determined to become a successful writer, even though the field is male-dominated. Meg March (the oldest sister of the family) is determined to live a life of luxury. Beth (the third March sister) is determined to keep her family together during the Civil War and during their struggling times. Beth is the shyest of the sisters, however, she wants to make a difference in the world just like her other sisters. The youngest sister, Amy, is very determined and ambitious; she hopes to become a famous artist while traveling through Europe. Though these four sisters are related, they lead very different lives. Alcott paints a good picture of how each sister grows and matures in society. This year, Weddington High School will be performing a play based on the book, Little Women, and I interviewed one of the leading stars, Lacey Fallon, who is starring as Amy. I asked her about how she felt about the production and her selection in the leading role.

Q: Compared to past productions, has this been your favorite one? 

A: “I’ve done tech for past productions and this is the first production I’ve been casted in. It has definitely been my favorite so far. I’ve always loved Little Women as a classic story because it has such a beautiful meaning about connection and family. Earlier this year, we transitioned to a new theater director, Dr. Blamely, and we chose this production with a smaller cast for a transition. Within rehearsals, we have already created a strong bond between all the cast, crew, and especially Dr. Blamely. Having a closer connection with your cast and crew is amazing and reflects heavily on the morals of the production.”

Q: What makes Amy so special to you and why do you love the role that you’ve been chosen for?

A: “I grew up with the novel, Little Women, and as the youngest in my family, I was naturally drawn to Amy as she is the youngest of the March sisters. I grew up being able to relate to Amy and I saw myself in her. Amy has been my dream role for the longest time, and being able to play her has been the most exciting experience ever. Amy March is vivacious and will do anything in the world to get what she wants. She constantly watches the world around her and tries her best to mature quickly and be validated like so many of us feel we have to do. She isn’t always proper and mostly sarcastic but carries herself lightheartedly. As I grew up with the novel, I also grew up with Amy being my role model and I really believe she is the most underrated character. There are so many people who can relate to Amy in different ways and she just brings out the fun in life. Her ability to hold herself transparent is something special to me, honestly, Amy is the true mirrorball.”

The production is scheduled to premiere on November 17th at 7:00pm and November 19th @ 1:00 pm and 7:00 pm. With all of the excitement surrounding the play, the shows are expected to sell out fast so make sure to purchase your tickets when they are available.