A Grinchless Gathering: The Christmastime Tradition of “Hope for the Holidays”

In the week before winter break, and Weddington High School’s halls are fully decked in holiday decorations. Wrapping paper, ornaments, and tree lights adorned the walls of the commons area as well as the main hallway. It might be a lazy, relaxed week for some, but for around 150 students, the week before break is known to be one of the most exciting and cheerful weeks of the school year.

A few days before the annual winter vacation, members of NHS, SNHS, Mentor’s Club, Food for Thought, and other clubs gather in order to participate in one of Weddington’s most important holiday events. “Hope for the Holidays” is a traditional event during which Weddington students sign up to provide Christmas for children from the Boys and Girls Club in Monroe.

The actual event night begins with the Boys and Girls Club arriving to Weddington after school, playing with their new high school friends, enjoying a friendly dinner, and, most importantly, getting their first batch of Christmas presents delivered from Santa Claus!

“Hope for the Holidays” is an event that takes the effort of all those who are involved. From donating food to provide for the dinner to carefully selecting presents which would please their assigned child, students work hard for weeks before the actual date to ensure the night runs smoothly and is enjoyable for everybody.

This year, around 30 children ages 5-15 came to Weddington High on Wednesday, December 19th from Monroe Elementary and Middle. They were greeted by the enthusiastic and hospitable students from Weddington, our dedicated teachers and staff, and a special surprise appearance from Santa himself!